Chili, a suburb of Rochester, is a town in Monroe County, New York. The population was 28,625 at the 2010 census. The Town of Chili was established in 1822 from part of the Town of Riga. North Chili was a stop on the Underground Railroad.
Once the hunting ground of the Seneca Indians, Chili became part of the newly formed Northampton. Chili was named after the country of Chile which was striving for independence at the time. Some suggest that the town was named after the Chiliasts religion embraced by some of the early settlers of South Chili.